Pumpkins start to fully mature and enter the market with the start of autumn, ultimately endorsing the seasonal change. Complementing the change towards colder temperature, they are often enjoyed in various dishes, ranging from main courses to desserts and even drinks. The limitless potential of pumpkin can be used to present them as either the main course or a complimenting salad, soup or sweet dish.
The Holy Prophet (SAW) identified the potential health benefits of pumpkins and even favored them over meat at one recorded instance. The Holy Prophet (SAW) was fond of the taste of pumpkins and asked His (SAW) wife Hazrat Aisha (RA) “O Aisha, when you cook, add pumpkins abundantly, because it strengthens the heart” (narration: Abu’l-Hasan bin Dahhaq).
Pumpkins are rich in dietary fiber which facilitates digestion, promotes peristalsis movement and cleanses the digestive tract. The rich dosage of vitamins and minerals ensure the body is well stocked with micronutrients for maintaining optimum health. They also contain antioxidants which have been medically proven to prevent cancer and delay the onset of aging.
Pumpkins serve as a very good base for soups, ultimately lending them a slightly sweet flavor in contrast to the spices, which ultimately compliment it. They are easy to digest and are hence added to soups for their beneficial digestive properties. Pumpkin soup can be cooked with minimal ingredients to serve as an appetizer or can be served in the form of heavy chowder with meat as the main course.
About Pumpkin Soup
Pumpkins are blessed food which bring Allah’s abundance to the tablecloth. Hazrat Jabir (RA) quoted his son Hazrat Hakem (RA) that he entered The Holy Prophet’s (SAW) home and saw pumpkin being cut into pieces. When he asked what that was for, He (SAW) replied “Something we put in our food to increase it” (Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah).
Pumpkin soup holds limitless potential since it can be modified to suit personal tastes. The soup presented here is a vegetarian variants, but can include meats, vegetables and spices. Similarly, the pumpkin soup recipe provided here can be changed to suit your needs.
The flavor of pumpkins is by no means to be underestimated. Cooked right, they can easily rival meat and even convince connoisseurs to favor them over meat. Hazrat Anas (RA) narrates “I saw the Prophet being served with soup and containing gourd (pumpkin or squash) and cured meat, and I saw him picking and eating the pieces of gourd” (Bukhari Volume 7, Book 65, Number 348). Check out our homely recipe for kadu gosht which will surely delight you.
Pumpkins have a cooling effect/taseer on the human body which allows them to provide relief from ailments of the digestive tract. Similarly, the fruit also treats urinary tract infections and reduces chances of developing prostate cancer. They improve digestion with their rich dietary fiber and settle stomach inflammation. The vitamins and minerals are essential for keeping the immune system at peak performance for strong resistance against diseases.
As narrated by Hazrat Anas bin Malik (RA), a tailor invited The Holy Prophet (SAW) to a meal comprised of barley bread and soup containing pumpkin and cured meat. The Holy Prophet (SAW) favored the pieces of pumpkin in the dish, so I have always liked the pumpkin since that day (Sahih Muslim).
Following is the list of ingredients needed for preparing pumpkin soup:
|01||Pumpkin||1 kilogram||Peeled, deseeded, cut into cm pieces|
|02||Carrot||500 grams||Peeled, diced|
|03||Onion||2, medium sized||Peeled, evenly chopped|
|04||Garlic||4 cloves||Peeled, minced|
|05||Assorted vegetable stock||6 cups||Liquid|
|06||Olive oil||4 tablespoons||Liquid|
|07||Rock salt||As needed||Granulated|
|08||Pepper||As needed||Freshly ground|
|09||Turmeric powder||1 teaspoon||Powder|
|10||Ground cumin||1 teaspoon||Powder|
|11||Ground coriander||1 teaspoon||Powder|
|12||Mustard seeds||1 tablespoon||Whole|
Preparation of Pumpkin Soup
Following are the steps for the preparation of pumpkin soup recipe. These detailed steps make it very easy to prepare pumpkin soup. The nutritional value of the dish can be altered with the addition of more ingredients. Feel free to experiment with this pumpkin soup recipe and come up with your very own, unique variants. It is a very rewarding dish which can be enjoyed with family and friends, just as per the Sunnah of The Holy Prophet (SAW) to eat together.
1. Add the olive oil in a large pot and heat over medium flame until it is hot.
2. Add the onions to the pot and ½ teaspoon of salt. Cook the onions, stirring to avoid burning them. Cook until tender.
3. Add the garlic, mustard seeds, ground cumin, turmeric powder and ground coriander to the pot and stir for 2 minutes. The mustard seeds will start popping from the heat to signal moving to the next step of recipe.
4. Add pumpkin and carrot pieces to the pot and stir to mix them thoroughly with the rest of vegetable and spice mix.
5. Add the vegetable stock and turn the flame high for bringing the soup to a boil. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the pumpkin has tenderized.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste. Use a blender to convert puree the soup, giving it a smooth consistency.
- Choose completely ripe pumpkins for the soup. They have a strong flavor and take less time to soften.
- Do not burn the onions at the start. The burnt taste ruins the dish.
- Feel free to add vegetables as required to modify and make your own unique recipe.
- Meat can be also be added in the recipe. We recommend using lean meat varieties such as beef shoulder to ensure the dish retains its smooth consistency. However, the meat will add a slightly chunky consistency.
- The taste can be adjusted by varying the vegetable stock. The same vegetables can also be added to the soup.