Beetroot is the edible taproot part of the vegetable plant that is loaded with vitamins and minerals. These are necessary for healthy metabolic processes. It contains natural sugars which are healthy for the body. Beetroot contains alpha-lipoic acid, which works as an antioxidant and reduces blood glucose levels. Thus, it is very beneficial for diabetic patients as it keeps their sugar levels balanced. The high dietary fiber in beetroot is excellent for promoting good digestion. Beetroot can be used in numerous foods, ranging from smoothies and dips to vegetable stews and salads.
About Arabic Beetroot Salad
Beetroots are an important ingredient for salads, as they have a strong flavor of their own. As a result, they can be included as the main ingredient. The dietary fiber promotes peristalsis movement to keep the food moving smoothly in the digestive tract, thus preventing constipation. The raw vegetables in the salad are very healthy since they are uncooked, hence preserving their nutrition. Due to the high fiber content of beetroot salad, the natural sugars are released in a slow manner, which keeps them from spiking blood sugar levels. Beetroots are rich in antioxidants that reduce risks of getting cancer and fight the onset of aging at a cellular level. Moreover, the salad is tasty and great for people on a diet looking to restrict their caloric intake.
Following is the list of ingredients needed for preparing Arabic beetroot salad:
|02||Endive||1 large||Finely sliced|
|03||Red onions||1 large||Finely sliced|
|04||Radish||½ cup||Finely sliced|
|05||Fresh mint||1 tablespoon||Finely minced|
|06||Fresh chives||1 tablespoon||Finely mined|
|07||Black olives||1 cup||Pitted, sliced|
|08||Feta cheese||1 cup||Crumbled|
|10||Fruit vinegar||1 tablespoon||Liquid|
|11||Olive oil||2 tablespoons||Liquid|
|12||Lemon juice||3 tablespoons||Liquid, without fibers|
Preparation of Arabic Beetroot Salad
Following is the recipe for the preparation of Arabic beetroot. It is very simplistic in nature and can be modified for addition of more ingredients, such as potatoes and other vegetables. Various beetroot cultivars can be used for preparing this salad. Feel free to make your own versions for the salad with various vegetables and even meat.
1. Clean the beetroots and place them in a baking dish. Add water until it is half a centimeter high in the baking dish. Cover the dish with foil and bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let it cool down.
2. Add the chives, mint, endive, radish and red onions to a large salad bowl and mix.
3. Remove the beets from baking dish and peel them. Dice them into cubes before mixing with the rest of vegetables.
4. Prepare the salad dressing separately. Mix together the salt, pepper, lemon juice, mustard, olive oil and vinegar to make salad dressing.
5. Drizzle the salad dressing onto the salad while tossing gently. As a result, the vegetables will not break from being mixed too much.
6. Top off the salad with olives and crumbled feta cheese. Serve chilled.
- Do not overcook the beetroots in oven. Roasting them more than required will affect their flavor.
- Serve with grilled chicken to provide a boost of protein without any fat. However, refrain from serving it with red meat.
- Feel free to add your own variation of vegetables.
- You can substitute the cheese for sharp cheddar, provolone, mozzarella or any other cheese that suits your palate.
- Olive oil is an excellent addition to any salad. Keep it in the salad even if you change the vegetables.